Monday, July 14, 2008

Microsfy

From what I gathered, Bruce Livingstone (creator of Istockphoto) got pissed that he couldn't sell his photos through the proper channels and decided to start selling them at ridiculously low prices.

Hence the creation of microstock.

Now to me I find that an interesting turn of event. Photographers used to be able to command hundreds or even thousands of dollars in licensing but in just a couple of short years, microstock has boomed. And now you can get hundreds of images for dirt cheap prices.

Which got me thinking. What seems to be the driving force behind this phenomenon?

Is it because more ameatur photographers can post their semi decent shots for sale now.

Or is it due to the fact that, people always loved to buy stock photos, just that they couldnt afford them last time. (Lol)

Because clearly you cannot just go into any other industry and microsfy it. Like hey, lawyers are lining up for to give legal aid for dollars and cents. That would seriously be a cause for concern.

Nonethelss what can we do. If the industry is moving towards micropayment and photographers are still doing fine, we gotta do what we gotta do.

No actually, I gotta do what I can do to pay the rent. I dont know about you though.

No comments: